Ven pongal is a south Indian delicacy prepared using rice and moong dal. It is one of the important foods used as offering to the gods and goddesses during festivals and holy days. It is traditionally cooked in the earthen pot on the wood fire outside of the house with beautiful rangoli surrounding the clay stove.
Pongal is the most important festival of tamils, majorly celebrated in the south of India and the other countries with Tamil population. It is the harvest celebrations of the south just similar to Lohri in Punjab or Makar sankranti which is celebrated throughout the country.
Ven pongal being the rice dish, the first rice of the harvest is cooked on the day of Pongal and prayers are offered for better harvest in future.
Let’s make some Ven Pongal now!
Recipe type : Main
Cuisine : South Indian
Prep time : 5 mins
Cooking time : 20 mins
Total time : 25 mins
Serves : 2
Ingredients you will need:
- 1 cup – Rice
- 1 cup – Moong dal
- 1 tsp – Vegetable oil
- 1 tsp – Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp – Cumin seeds
- 1tsp – Mustard seeds
- 3/4 – Green chillies
- 1 pinch of hing
- 15/20 – Curry Leaves
- 1 tbsp – Ghee
- Dry roast rice and dal separately in a pan until the rice slightly starts changing color and dal turns pale yellow and releases nutty aroma.
- Now wash rice and dal once and then pressure cook it for two whistles in 2 glasses of water and some turmeric and salt.
- Once the rice and dal is ready, open the lid and check for the water content. Add or reduce water accordingly and stir vigorously with a wooden spatula to get the creamy and mushy texture. Keep aside.
- Heat a small pan / kadhai with 1 tsp vegetable oil in it. Once smoking hot, put cumin and mustard seeds and let them pop. Then add green chillies (slitted from the centre along the length), curry leaves and pinch of hing in the oil. Temper it for few seconds and then add it in the rice and dal mixture. (Keep some tempered green chillies and curry leaves aside for garnishing)
- Add ghee and give it a stir while it’s still hot. Serve it hot with some chilled coconut chutney.
Ven pongal is ideal as the quick fix for lunch or dinner or even for brunch, as it takes very less time to prepare. Perfect for both lazy or busy day. Wink!
Thanks for reading this blog. Hope you liked it. Do share your views in the comments below and follow the blog for more.
Do check the last blog here.
Check out the DIY blogs here.
Check out the Food blogs here.
Check out the Travel blogs here.